Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Technology, In our Everyday Lives

Ranking Technological Devices:
1. Macbook Pro
2. iPhone 4s
3. Nikon Coolpix Camera

First and foremost, I have to get to know my students.  Olivia's life differs drastically than the one I am accustomed to.  You can't have blinders on as an educator, everyone has a different life (responsibilities, economic circumstances, interests, etc).  I enjoy using the philosophy that the personal is political.  In many areas of New Jersey, Olivia's living situation is commonplace.  Therefore, as an educator we have to be understanding on what we can and cannot assign.  Technology is not as accessible as it is in more affluent parts of New Jersey, and that plays a major role in our pedagogical teaching methods.  Olivia was very determined in her efforts to become technologically savvy, and not all of my students will share this same level of interest.

I look at my three technologies and think to myself, Man, I’m a slave to technology.  I have the latest computer, latest cellphone, latest everything.  The question as to how these technologies have shaped my life is more complex than I’d first imagined.  I can honestly tell you that I am a happier person with these material items.  But then, I look around a restaurant or a bar on a Friday night, and see the majority of social groups texting or updating social networking cites.  So, is this really the path toward occupying a more fulfilled happy life? I wonder if we are becoming more detached from reality with the advances in technology, or we as a society are just adapting to a new world centered around networking and technology.  I am not sure what the future brings, or whether or not I’m comfortable with my personal immersion into technology, but for the mean time I am going to continue “going with the times.”

Technology has helped me learn new information at a faster rate.  Answers to questions that sprout in my head are always readily accessible.  If you use these technologies to gain new information, and constantly remind yourself to use them positively, they can really prove to be beneficial.  My iPhone helps me become a more well-rounded person.  If I have a question about something from a different culture, I can look it up and at least get a brief understanding of what I previously had no knowledge of. Olivia’s heart-warming story brought me some guilt.  It’s hard to be appreciative of the items you possess on an everyday basis; stories like the one she offered us, remind me of how lucky I am.  I’m not sure if I would go the lengths she went to access technology if I were in her place.  It bothers me to say this, but I believe it would be the case.  Putting this aside, we both expressed ourselves similarly through the use of technology.  One of my favorite interests is posting meaningful pictures on the internet.  In her case, she posted pictures of her mother, big sister, etc.  I enjoy freezing moments in everyday life that arouse meaning.  Those times when the sun’s rays seem to hit you right, and given the emotional state you’re in... whether your thinking about a girl, or about how much you love your brother, or friends... all of these moments where the environment and your emotions come together to inspire you with feelings that seem inexpressible.  Take a picture, and you have it for life.  

3 comments:

  1. Michael,

    Two points you made struck a chord with me. First of all, you say technology is detaching people from reality. I agree with this view and your example highlights it perfectly. The people you portray were in a social environment, be it a bar or a restaurant, but rather than turn and talk to each other, they were instead probably tweeting 'I'm here doing this'. Somebody once said to me, 'If I was in a fire, I'd probably die because I'd be too busy tweeting omg, there's a fire', which is amusing and sad.

    Also, what you say about probably not caring about technology if you aren't exposed to it. This is kind of how I am with my cellphone. I didn't get one very early, like most of my friends did, so even now I don't text or talk on it as much as a peer might. It doesn't seem strange to me, unless I look around and see how different everyone else is, because it's simply what I got used to.

    Great insights,
    Sarin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, glad to see you have been working hard. One suggestion would be to change the format of your blog to "simple". This would allow everyone to see both a picture of you and a little description of yourself. Let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,
    I found it interesting that you chose your iPhone as one of your three technologies. In many classrooms and educational settings students are not permitted to use their phones. Seeing as cell phones are a common technology that teenagers interact with it seems that it would be beneficial to incorporate them in student learning. Do you feel that there is an appropriate way to do so?

    ReplyDelete